I.重写句子(15 points, 1.5 points each)
Rewrite each of the following sentences according to the requirement in brackets.
Example: The history of English words is the history of our civilization in many ways. (periodic
sentence) 1. Queues will likely be long this summer at the airport. Families head abroad for their summer holidays. (complex sentence)
2. Although the rain clouds are gathering in the distance, they still insist on meeting in the park. (simple sentence)
3. No farmer would dare invest in anything new without being certain that the government officials stand behind it.(periodic sentence)
4. The loan model offers some unbelievably cheap loans and allows a short payback period. (compound sentence)
掘高 5.Because the hotel receptionist beat the thief severely, both the receptionist and the thief were arrested. (simple sentence)
6. Tighter restrictions on animal transports have forced farmers to consider transporting their herds by cargo plane instead of lorry as a way to comply with animal welfare requirements. (complex sentence)
7. The Great Wall is the world’s longest human-made structure, stretching over approximately 6,400 km from Shanhaiguan in the east to Jiayuguan in the west, along an arc roughly drawing the southern edge of Inner Mongolia. (compound-complex sentence)
8. By the Spring and Autumn Period, which began around the 8th century BC, the Chinese had learned the techniques of wall-building. (loose sentence)
9. Susan knows business management very well. She has got many years’ work experience in business administration. (compound sentence)
10. Oprah Winfrey’s own story is an inspiration. She overcame almost every obstacle that a person might face. (compound-complex sentence)
Ⅱ.修改病句 (15 points,3 points each)
Correct the errors in the following sentences.
Example: After seeing an offensive mouthwash ad on television. I resolved never to buy that
11. A new blouse in a fashionable color can update an old outfit; in contrast, adding dramatic jewelry or an attractive scarf can make an old outfit seem new.
12. Judging by Meg’s party, her parents are irresponsible. First of all, there is no adult supervision, for example, wine and beer are served.
13. He said that they should make full use of the water power of the river. And that a small reservoir should be built.
14. My hometown is closer to Beijing than Shijiazhuang.
15. After correcting all the mistakes, the second draft of the paper was much better than the first. Ⅲ.辨认主题句 (15 points, 5 points each)
16. Choose the best topic sentence from the four options below. Write the corresponding letter of your choice on the Answer Sheet.
A. Some political parties have adopted animals to represent them.
B. Cars are given animal names to make consumers associate them with speed and grace.
C. Many professional sports teams, such as the Tigers and Rams, have chosen animal names to suggest power.
D. Many people in the world hold animals in such high regard that they use animals’ names for their organizations and products.
17. Read the following paragraph and write the topic sentence on the Answer Sheet.
We are on our way to becoming a cashless, checkless society, a trend that began with the credit card. Now some banks are offering “debit cards” instead of credit cards. The costs of purchases made with these cards are deducted from the holder’s bank account instead of being added to a monthly bill. And checking accounts, which are mainly used for paying bills, are going electronic. Now some people can make computer transactions over their pushbutton phones to pay bills by transferring money from their account to the account of whomever they owe. Soon we may be able to conduct most of our business without signing a check or actually seeing the money we earn and spend.
18. Read the following paragraph and choose the best topic sentence from the four options that follow. Write the corresponding letter of your choice on the Answer Sheet.
Cutting down on your responsibilities is one way to minimize stress in your life. You can also relax yourself by breathing deeply, rather than taking light, shallow breaths. Peaceful music is also soothing if you focus your attention on it and consciously disregard distracting thoughts. Another good way to release
tension is to exercise regularly, which, rather than tiring you out, builds energy and endurance.
A. Stress has several harmful effects, so you must minimize them.
B. There are several ways you can reduce stress in your life.
C. Cutting down on responsibilities lessens stress.
D. You can relax by breathing deeply.
Ⅳ.重新组合段落 (5 points, l point each)
19. Rearrange the following sentences so that they read logically. Write the corresponding letters in a proper sequence on the Answer Sheet. The positions of some sentences have been given.
A. After several conversations with salespeople, she then buys what she came into the store for in the first place, but all the while, my father has been reading a mystery in the car.
B. My father has grown to hate stores of all kinds.
C. My mother, on the other hand, has a somewhat more complicated approach.
D. As she does so, she draws up two mental lists-one of items that she can afford and the other of items she cannot.
E. His view is that one should go into a store, buy what one came for, and leave.
F. While she believes that one should enjoy oneself as much as possible while shopping, my father feels enjoyment and shopping are two different things.
G. She prefers to look carefully over every single item in the store.
Ⅴ. 划掉与段落内容无关的句子 (10 points, 5 points each)
20. Read the following paragraph and write the TWO irrelevant sentences on the Answer Sheet. Studies reveal that people’s first names can have influence on them. Clearly, Chinese names are quite different. Some names reflect on people in a positive way. For example, one survey showed that American men consider the name Susan to be sexy. And participants in a British study thought Tony to be the name of someone very friendly. However, other names can have a negative impact. In one study, for instance, teachers gave lower grades to essays supposedly written by boys named Hubert and Elmer than to the very same essays when they were credited to boys with more popular names. Another study found that girls with unpopular names did worse on IQ and achievement tests than girls with more appealing names. So IQ and achievement tests are important and necessary in studying names.
Ⅵ. 写信 (40 points)
21. Suppose you (Wang Lin) have finished your study, during which Professor Li helped you a lot both in your study and in your life. Write a letter to thank him. Tell him with examples that you have learned a lot from him in terms of knowledge and positive attitude towards difficulties. And
also tell him that with what you have learned from him, you have got a good job in a company or you have started your own business. (150-200 words)
I. Write an outline. (20 points)
Read the following passage carefully and compose a “sentence outline” for it.
Styles of Dress as Reflections of Social Conditions
Something that becomes very apparent when we study the topic of fashion is that clothes and style are related to so much more than merely an individual’s appearance. For thousands of years, fashion and style have been primary indicators about a person’s social status, sexuality, wealth, individuality, and overall personality attributes.
In the 20th century alone, each decade has been marked by distinctly different manners for dress for both men and women. Our Halloween tradition exemplifies this very clearly with “costumes” such as a 1920’s “flapper girl” and the 1960’s “hippie.” With deeper consideration, however, these differing fashion styles can be viewed as representative of the related social conditions occurring at the time.
As stated by Pasacoe, “The fashion of the 1920’s reflected the Jazz Age perfectly. It was made for fast automobiles and Charlestondance. For the first time in western fashion the knee was socially acceptable.” Although there are many theories regarding what causes fashion to change, the fact that social climate is reflected in styles of dress has a great deal of support. Perhaps the reason why so much change occurred in women’s dress in the early decades of the century is that so many changes occurred regarding women’s roles and fights within that same time frame.
Another decade in which fashion was strongly indicative of the underlying social conditions is the turbulent 1960’s. One of the most noted developments accredited to this decade is the introduction of the miniskirt. Many social historians relate the introduction of the miniskirt to the introduction of the birth control pill. Women became sexually liberated and the “free love” era began. These miniskirts came to symbolize the new liberation for women and the ssocial climate of the decade. As stated in Vogue at the end of the decade, “The length of your skirt is how you feel this moment.”
Towards the end of the 1960's, younger generations were rejecting the establishment and rejecting the idea of high fashion along with it. Students wore long hair, faded denim jeans, and flamboyant patterns. Many wore combat jackets and surplus shirts to anti-war rallies. As Hoeymaker stated, “By the end of the decade, cheap, flamboyant clothes became expensive designer labels. The hippie style became high fashion; in fact ‘anti-fashion’ became the biggest fashion of all.” In this case, clothes became a form of protest.
Overall, there are countless examples of how fashion is influenced by the social climate of the times. Over the past thousands of years, the socially “appropriate” styles of dress for men and women have varied tremendously. Regardless of what exactly constituted“stylish” fashion during any given time period, one thing that remains constant is that fashion has always been a significant aspect of one's life and the time in which they lived.
II. Supply the missing paragraph. (20 points)
The following passage is incomplete with one body paragraph missing. Study the passage carefully and write the missing paragraph in about 100 words. Make sure that your tone and diction are in unity with the passage provided.
Say No to Blind Optimism
“Is the glass half full or half empty?" This question is often asked to determine whether someone
is an optimist or a pessimist. In my view, even though we need to see the glass half full, we cannot deny the fact that the glass is also half empty. Having a healthy proportion of expectations makes us more realistic. Blind optimism, however, may foster delusions, result in frustrations and spoil relationships.
We all long for accomplishments, but sometimes we overstress the positive outcome of our effort and waste our time with glori ous plans that will never work. We indulge ourselves in delusions and impractical dreams. We fail to see that blind optimism only gives us false promises and clouds our sense of judgment. Ambition without clear directions cannot lead to a victorious experience. We need to understand that wishful thinking and delusions won’t work.
______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ Balanced optimism helps us to develop healthy relationships whereas blind optimism destroys them. One of the reasons for short-lived friendships is that we tend to expect too much of our friends. However, they may not always live up to our expectations. This gives rise to disappointment and misunderstanding. Friendships or relationships consequently turn sour. Some relationships may be seriously affected, with all parties experiencing much pain. A more realistic outlook helps us to understand human limitations, show more consideration for others and prevent excess expectations. To sum up, blind optimism does more harm than good and should be discarded. Saying no to blind optimism means we can fly but we fly with the safest bet, with the parachute, so that we don’t drop hard. It proves our ability to accept weaknesses and strive for the best. It gives us second options in our lives and alleviates the pains and disappointments that life imposes on us. This holistic attitude, accepting both positive and negative sides, will make us stronger and more mature. After all, a lotus is a beautiful flower that blossoms out of the mud.
IlI. Compose an essay. (60 points)
Some people enjoy playing sports individually while others love to play in groups. Which do you prefer? Write a 300-word expository essay stating your reasons.